food is a common love for every member in my home. making a healthy scrumptious meal for my family to enjoy is a way to show my love.

last year I discovered my daughter and I were allergic to some food. she was having trouble potty training so I put us on an elimination diet and her troubles cleared up. at that point it felt like we both had reactions to soy, refined sugar, dairy, wheat and fish. being a vegetarian already, the list of food to consume dropped dramatically. through research and much trial and error I came to learn wheat is in EVERYTHING! and soy! about 6 months ago my daughter and I went to an allergist and he confirmed we were both allergic to wheat and cantaloupe. since then we eat little of the things we have reactions to and no wheat.

all recipes are simple and relatively fast. we have 4 people in our family so most will feed four. everything posted is wheat free, little dairy and soy. I am currently putting together a cookbook that will be simple, wheat free and almost vegan (I eat honey).

Sunday, June 30, 2013

sweet sugar cookies


happy valentine’s day! over the years I have been that person that says “you should show your love every day” and I still feel that way but now that I have my own children I feel it is a day to show extra love. this morning we brought cookies to our neighbors who just bought the abandon house next door to flip. my lil girl was so happy to make someone else happy with cookies. later on the door bell rang and it was the wife of the neighbors with one pink rose and a box of two amazing chocolates (w pb in them). we were not expecting this at all and it was a great way of showing how you do good to and by others and good will happen to you. for the rest of the day my daughter carried around that flower and said “this is my most favorite flower.” wow, what a recipe you would say or more the act of giving cookies but either way love is on our street and here is that recipe…
1/4c room temp butter or coconut oil
2T honey
1/2c sugar
1 1/2t vanilla
2 1/4c Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix aka GFAPF (I use Bobs Red Mill)
3/4t xanthan gum aka xg
1/t salt
1t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
2t orange zest
1T water
1 egg white
mix the first 4 ingredients. mix dry ingredients separately. mix together and add the remaining ingredients. you may add some more flour, depending on the mix you use but you want to get a lil stick dense ball of dough. wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour. preheat oven to 325°. take a quarter of the dough out (put remainder dough back in fridge) and place on a lightly floured surface. cover your rolling pin with the top of a long sock (to help it not stick) and roll out the dough (1/4 in thick). using cookie cutters cut shapes and place on a lightly floured cookie sheep. ball the dough back up and repeat until there is no more dough. do the whole process with the other 3/4s left in the fridge. bake for about 8 min.
photo
* this made about 30 cookies of mixed sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment